Love Among War CouplesMuch has changed over the last century. We have seen changes in fashion, technology, home appliances, medicine and computers. Yet, regardless of how much time has passed, there is one thing that has always remained the same, and that is love.
Perhaps the only difference this time round is that when we say goodbye to someone we're close to, we are likely to see them again soon, but many of the people in the photographs below, which were taken during the war years of the first half of the 20th Century, hadn't any clue whether they would ever be reunited with the one that they love again.
This inspiring photograph collection reminds us that life is short... and to never wait to tell somebody that you love them.
1. A photo of a goodbye kiss taken in Los Angeles on September 6th, 1950,
2. American soldiers get their last kiss on a ship before being deployed to Egypt.
3. A sailor kisses a nurse in New York's Times Square. This iconic photo depicts the end of WWII, in May 1945
4. A young woman embraces and kisses a US soldier at a train station in Connecticut, 1945.
5. A woman bids farewell to a soldier at New York's Penn Station in April 1943.
6. A woman leans over a railing to kiss a British soldier in London 1940.
7. Jean Moore kneels and kisses her fiancÚ, WWII veteran Ralph Neppel, in 1945.
8. Saying goodbye at the train station before departing for the front line in WWII.
9. A soldier returns home from the war in the 1940s.
10. An American soldier kisses his English girlfriend on the grass in Hyde Park in 1945.
11. Soldiers departing for Egypt lean out of a train's windows to kiss their loved ones goodbye in 1935.
12. Coffee served on the porch of an Antebellum mansion. A party was held for the cadets from the local army flying school in Mississippi, USA in 1943.
13. English soldiers say goodbye to their wives before they head off to Egypt in 1937.
14. Troops bid farewell to their loved ones at New York's Penn Station in April 1943.
15. Another couple says goodbye to one another at New York's Penn Station in April 1943.
16. A US soldier tenderly kisses his girlfriend goodbye in 1922.
17. A young woman in roller skates alongside her soldier honey in the 1940s.
18. A British ATS and Eighth Air Force sergeant enjoy a beautiful kiss, 1945.
19. A sailor leans over a picket fence as he lifts his girlfriend up for a kiss, 1945.
20. A British soldier whispers into the ear of a loved one as he leaves for the front line in 1939.
21. A girl is lifted to bid farewell to a soldier before he departs to fight in WWII, 1940.
22. A soldier says goodbye to his wife in Seattle before leaving for WWI in 1917.
23. An American soldier and a Frenchwoman kiss in a controversial picture that appeared in Life magazine in 1944.
24. Actress Martha O'Driscoll kisses a soldier goodbye in Los Angeles in 1941.
25. D.Brown kisses her fiancÚ Terry under the mistletoe aboard the HMS Wakeful at Portsmouth, 1955.